Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hand surgery

Well in case this is new news to you I'd thought I'd share. 3 years ago I broke my right hand/thumb (the joint that connects the base of the thumb to the wrist). A very hard spot to break and on the joint at that. I decided to make a running catch during a softball game with my right hand. Unfortunately I must have forgotten that my mitt was on my left hand. I did make the catch but not w/o consequences! I was casted and went through therapy, etc but it still hurt 2.5 years later. Turns out severe arthritis had developed causing the pain and the 'bone spikes' as I call them were 'scraping' away the cartilage in the joint. So I decided to have surgery to have the arthritis removed as a way to avoid having to have the joint fused together.

5 days later and still reliant on every one for most of my daily activities. I've got a wrapping on my hand about 6 inches thick up to my elbow that completely encompasses my thumb. I'm off pain meds and narcotics but still unable to drive, open sippy cups, make sandwiches, open child proof locks, zip coats, change diapers ( :) ), so I have 4 different people doing my weekly 'duties' next week. 1 to take Nathan to the bus stop, 1 to take Lance to school, a different one to pick him up, and one to take Nathan home from school. I'm also going to be hanging out with neighbors often! I guess I really took for granted all the things we do with our thumbs....our RIGHT thumbs!

I have to have this eye sore on my hand until Friday, and then I'm sure it will at least be in a removable splint which will be much better than this foul smelling thing.

No comments: